Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Heart warming



Are you taking part in the Hottie Challenge?


This is the hot water bottle cover I made for the curly pops hottie challenge to raise money for the Margaret Pratt Foundation

This is from their website:
The Margaret Pratt Foundation Heart Lung Transplant Trust is a registered charity whose aim is to encourage, develop and maintain Australia’s world class expertise in the field of organ transplantation by supporting research that addresses the problems faced by children and adults after heart and lung transplant.

The aim of the research must be to improve the outcomes for heart and lung transplant recipients.

The Margaret Pratt Foundation has donated $700,000 to date in 2011 to promote research into the causes and prevention of chronic lung rejection

The diagram of the heart is labelled with common heart phrases and terms like "cockles" and "heart strings". I wanted to explore the contrasting meanings of the heart metaphorically/ culturally with the medical and scientific. Because surely that impacts on heart transplant patients?



The heart of the matter? 


Warm the cockles of your heart. Home is where the heart is. Heart of stone. Open heart. Heart strings. Where are all these things located in the heart? And what does it all mean if we can replace the heart with another’s? You can open your heart, close your heart, lose your heart, win a heart and have a heart of gold or a heart of stone.

12 years ago, my then father-in-law had a heart transplant. I remember visiting him in the Alfred Hospital just after the surgery when he couldn’t speak but had such a spark in his eyes and seemed desperate to talk to me, clutching my hands and looking deeply into my eyes. It was amazing to think of what had just happened to him. His wife mentioned to me that she hoped he had got a women’s heart. He in fact received a teenager’s heart (perhaps a wife’s worse nightmare?) but it hasn’t changed him at all. Except his hair grew back, thick and lush. Oh and he took up skate boarding....


I based the felt applique picture on an image from my daughter's biology text book. I used recycled jumpers and a child's cable knit jumper as the base. I printed the text onto fabric.
Check out some of the other hotties on the curly pops blog and there's a Flickr Group
too! Here's my parcel almost ready to send to Ms Curly Pops.


 The hot water bottle covers will be exhibited in the gallery space at Open Drawer Art Textiles and Learning Centre from Friday July 1 to Sunday July 24, 2011.

A HUGE HEART FELT THANK YOU TO CAM FOR ORGANISING THE CHALLENGE!!!!!!!!

 posted by Julianne sisteroutlaw

10 comments:

  1. This is just fabulous! I am so glad now I didn't go with my original idea of a heart related hottie (more heart shape than actual heart) because this is just so much cooler and would have put my little attempt to absolute shame. Thanks for sharing your story too :)

    xx

    p.s. hehe, word verification is "sista"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks "sista". Perhaps we should spell it "sista outlaws" and sound like a rapper gang? I'm rather partial to your hottie Selina - especially the back and the colours - green and pink were my favourite colour combination as a child. I'll be putting in a bid!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Julianne, this is amazing! I opened your parcel thismorning and it's so cool - love how you've labelled the different areas.... especially the cockles, because I constantly use that phrase about things 'warming the cockles'.
    I can't wait to see them all together hanging in the exhibition. It's going to be amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a gorgeous hottie. Congrats! Love the textures and the text.

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is amazing work!!! soooo much detail

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so delighted that I purchased your gorgeous Hottie at the exhibition. I loved it from the minute I saw it and can't wait to bring it home.

    ReplyDelete
  7. beautiful beautiful and so very thoughtful. Thank you for sharing your story

    ReplyDelete
  8. Now it makes sense..just popped in from Cam's place! Wonderful...heart warming.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wasn't the hottie challenge heaps of fun? And best of all I feel like we've made lots of new connections and friends. Crafty community connections! Glad you like the hottie Cathy.I have visited your blog often and swooned at the lovely pallets of paint. In fact... I'm off to visit you there now...

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is amazing, and so neat and just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete