Sunday, February 17, 2013

A piece of cloth





"a piece of cloth"exhibition, curated by Liz Jones of Gleaners inc and Betty Jo fame, is part of L'oreal fashion week. Each artist is given a swatch of the same fabric to respond to in any way.

I've been playing around with my piece of cloth for weeks and weeks. And it's time I admitted it - it hasn't been an automatic bond. For some time there, I thought I may have to do something with the paper bag the piece of cloth came in! You see, I seemed to have an aversion to my piece of cloth.




The top left image is the original piece of cloth, resplendent in Seventies hues of orange, yellow, brown, green and a hint of dark red....I played around with colour - and decided I like the lines best of all.... I worked on some designs based on the lines....





But then, last week, something happened. I suddenly embraced the colour scheme! I suddenly discovered a fondness for my piece of cloth and found myself making something far more interesting....and colourful......I hope....stay toooned.....Oh the creative process is a strange and mysterious thing. Or as my wise friend, aphorist Kelly Hartland would say,

"Creativity flourishes on the brink of destruction"


Exhibition opens on 8th of March. Better get a wriggle on!

7 comments:

  1. Keeping us in suspenders Julianne! Loving the sketches xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be delivering my pieces on Wednesday Liz!

      Delete
  2. I'm anxiously waiting to see what you come up with. I actually like the fabric you ended up with :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I like it now too. You would make a lovely hexie flower with it, Irene. I was feeling my designs were a bit boring so I'm glad I've come up with something a bit crazy!

      Delete
  3. I like the fabric, the way you've interpreted it in a fashiony way, and that quote.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oooo..love the fabric!
    can't wait to see ur finished product.
    mezz

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally had an aversion to the colors too and sat on it for weeks till I could create something I would actually wear myself (: Can't wait to see what you've come up with.

    ReplyDelete