Friday, June 10, 2011

blanket approval

Yes! It is freezing! Are you walking around wrapped in a blanket?
Years ago – in fact it must be about 10 years ago now - I made this skirt. The crochet blanket was such a lovely small crochet and I loved the colours so I wanted to wear it. Here’s what I did.



Keeping the finished edge as my hem, I simply measured it to my waist, cut it to the length I wanted, then wrapped it around me. I cut the width after measuring where it sat well around my hips, keeping in mind it has a bit of stretch (for the thighs!). I then sewed up the back seam on the machine.





This is how that turned out – with a v like hem at the back. I left an opening at the back for getting in and out then I attached a really wide bias binding to the top edge and opening to be a facing.



I could have put a zip in the back but I used these fancy scroll buttons instead.
















For more crochet fashion inspiration...


Romance Was Born 2009 collection and Cate Blanchet wearing it on a wintry night in Melbourne...


           Paul Smith's 2011 Autumn/Winter collection.

Perhaps they got inspiration from my Aunty Margaret's 2008 twin collection!!


Now I am embarking on these pants I found in a pattern book that belonged to my Grandma. I've made one square...now only a 101 to go! Might be less - I have very short legs...


So if you can't get out of your blanket - just sew yourself into it!

posted by Julianne sister outlaw

No comments:

Post a Comment