Wednesday, July 23, 2014

tiddely pom pom poncho

 A snuggly poncho from a recycled jumper/sweater.

You will need: 

1 large jumper/sweater
coloured wool
sewing machine
fork
scissors

Here is the jumper I started with. First up I cut off the sleeves - they became matching leg warmers. Next I cut the neck because my little girls didn't like the rolled neck ( I did!). I zig-zagged the edge, folded it, pressed it, pinned it and sewed it on the sewing machine with a straight stitch.

Measure the jumper on the person you are making the poncho for. Let it fall and drape how you want it to sit. Mark where the elbows are with a pin. Mark the length you want in the centre of the jumper.

Now lay the jumper flat and carefully cut from the just outside the neck in a straight line to the elbow mark.

REMEMBER TO PRESS WITH AN IRON before you cut or sew it! 

Make a curved (or straight for a triangle poncho!) line to the centre measurement and cut. Repeat on the other side - fold in half to match.

With right sides together, straight stitch the side seam to the elbow mark. 
Finish seams with a zig-zag stitch. DO THE STRAIGHT STITCH FIRST TO KEEP IT FROM GOING WIGGLY!

Press the curved hem with a steam setting on the iron. Pin the hem. 
Sew with a straight stitch then a flat zig-zag to prevent it un-ravelling.

Now the fun part! Raising the cute factor to the power of POM POMS! These little pom poms are made with a fork. That's right. A fork. Yeah! It's revolutionary! We've all done that, right? Just in case, here is a link.
Place the pom poms where you want them and hand stitch them in place using a wool needle. 
Now rug your little one up all snug!







6 comments:

  1. That poncho is adorable, as is the model. You continue to come up with such creative projects. My daughter would have loved that poncho in her younger day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a gorgeous little girl!! I am a sucker for a poncho and a pom pom. Win win!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Irene! Pepper never seems to be cold so a poncho suits her free spirit! And Donna -she is a gorgeous girl - and I have another one exactly the same! Twins!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous! On all three accounts! Twins! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay, I am inspired ... Pom poms tomorrow I think ...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful poncho Julianne and it suits Pepper perfectly -- those eyes!!! I'm going to show it to my friends.

    ReplyDelete